• Create Account

Welcome to jpeg2RAW

Sign In  Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to jpeg2RAW - We would love to have you join our community!

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of jpeg2RAW by signing in or creating an account. You can sign in using Facebook, Google+ or Twitter. If you don't like those options, just create an account here. Once you have registered, you will be able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The end of hard drives, sort of

SSD

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jpeg2RAW - Mike

jpeg2RAW - Mike

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,090 posts
  • Facebook Page:www.facebook.com/jpeg2raw
  • Favorite Photography Subject:Landscape, Sports, Other

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

In my main machine right now are two 4TB hard drives, in addition to several SSD's.  One of the two drives is used for photo storage, the other for all other large data needs (Dropbox, video projects, email, virtual machines, etc).  However, neither is near full, heck they are both less than half full.  Then the data on them is rarely used for the most part.  For photos, I only really work with current ones and while I do need to go back and search for older images, these could easily be on the network.  The reduced speed of images placed on the network is not a real problem for these older files.

My file server is a homemade computer running and OS called unRAID, but any solid NAS would provide most of the same options discussed here.  My file server currently has 32TB of storage and can be easily grown to as large as 80TB or more.  So storage space is not an issue.  My server also runs Crashplan, backing up all the files to the cloud all the time.  It also backs key files up to some external drives for added local protection.

Given the strenght of my file server, I am making the leap to remove all hard drives in my main PC (eventually all machines in the house except the server) and go 100% SSD.  Already my OS drive, my program drive and a cache drive for Adobe run on separate SSD's.  But now I will be moving all my data onto an SSD.  Speed is the main advantage here, but it also helps a little with heat and some other minor benefits.

Here is the SSD I am looking to buy, a 1TB drive for just over $300.  Still a lot of money, but prices keep getting better on SSD's.

http://amzn.to/1UafXRM

Bodies - Nikon D700, D2x & D100.
Nikon Lens - (70-200 f/2.8) - (85mm f/1.8) - (50mm f/1.8) - (50mm f/1.4) - (24-85 f/3.5) - (55mm f/2.8) - (35 f/1.8 DX)
Sigma Lens - (120-300mm f/2.8)
Tokina Lnes - (12-24 f/4 DX)
Tamron Lens - (90mm f/2.8 Macro)
Teleconverters - Simga 2x, Sigma 1.4x & Nikon 1.4x

Backup - Local backup & CrashPlan for Offsite
Main editing monitor - Dell 27" - U2713HM
Main editing computer - self built - Intel Core i7 3770k over clocked to 4.2GHz, watercooled. 3 SSD's & 3 HDD's

Subscribe to our YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube...._confirmation=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users